South Africa

South Africa

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

A New Life in a New World

Hello, readers!

In my last post I said that this blog would no longer be relevant. I decided that it is in fact still relevant. While I no longer have insights to share about living in Cape Town, I have a few words to say about my life now.

It has now been three and a half months since I returned from Africa. Now, I am living in Vancouver. The two cities could not be any more different, yet at the same time they're very similar. Mountains and ocean punctuate the scenery here just as they do in Cape Town. There is a very laid-back and relaxed vibe as well. Canadians are some of the most cordial people I've met so far. South Africans are as well, but in fairness a true South African will give you a piece of advice or directions with his or her two cents as well. I may be making a sweeping generalization. I view it was a cultural difference.

When I returned to North America I experienced my fair amount of reverse culture shock. Vancouver is an expensive city. When I say expensive, I mean it. Eating out, entertainment, and other living expenses are astronomical compared to those of Cape Town. However, I noticed that you get what you pay for in Canada. The quality of life here is very high. Crime rates are low and it is safe for someone to walk outside at night. It took me a bit of time to adjust to this way of life. In Cape Town, there was a huge emphasis on safety and security. In Canada, some people don't even lock their doors. Such a change, but certainly a welcomed one.

As the weather becomes progressively colder I begin to miss Africa. I miss sunsets that are unlike any I have ever seen in my life. I miss the frenetic activity of the city centre, where taxis come and go and people are selling trinkets on the side of the street. Vancouver is a bit tame in comparison. I miss the friendliness of the people as well. I've begun to make peace with the fact that Cape Town and Vancouver are different.

Instead of comparing the two places I need to appreciate who I have around me in my life. I am so fortunate to have my family support me through not only my exchange, but through all my other endeavors. I am thankful for my friends in both places as well. Thank you, Chicago friends, for waiting for me when I got home and understanding the purpose of the journey. Thank you to my South African friends for becoming as important as you all are in my life. Without you all I could not be the person I am today.

The exchange is over, but the intercultural learning continues--It always will. I will return to South Africa. Maybe not tomorrow, but I certainly will. It is home. Africa will always be within me.

Thanks again, everyone! Dankie vir die lees!

-Danny

P.S. Please feel free to email me at danny.schur@gmail.com if you have any comments or questions about the blog or South Africa in general.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Danny, thanks for sharing your wonderful experience in South Africa. I know the situation between Canada and SA is very different especially when talking about culture and traditions. I am glad you enjoy visiting SA! Hope you have time to visit us in Rustenburg!

    Regards,
    Rusty (rustenburg.biz)

    ReplyDelete