South Africa

South Africa

Sunday, March 3, 2013

One Year, Many Thoughts


Here we are again, everyone. I continue to say that I am done posting on this blog. As a preface, I can ensure that this post will in fact be the last one.

Almost exactly a year ago I boarded a plane bound for South Africa. Since then, much has happened. I have met many people, enjoyed many memorable experiences, and have seen another side of this world. What can a year teach us?

A year has taught me that we can grow. We don't necessarily become bigger physically, but we become bigger people. What do I mean by that? We can meet new people, see new places, and have life experiences--just what I did in South Africa. However, we don't need to leave home to do so.

In one year, I changed. I left home as a seventeen year old high schools senior who was curious about the world. I came home as an 18 year old, who was still curious about the world in which we live. However, I came back as someone with a better sense of understanding. I met people from literally every walk of life. These people very from my hosts, friends, domestics, and even the odd taxi driver. I became a conversationalist. Stories became interesting to me. I wanted to get to know people for who they are, and not necessarily for what they have. Now, I think nothing of striking a conversation with a stranger. A year ago that was not the case. My personal changes span beyond being extroverted. As much as people may be surprised, I became tolerant. People in this world are not all the same. In fact, we are all different. My exchange taught me to not only tolerate differences, but to celebrate them. As I prepared for my exchange I learned the following phrase: It's not better or worse, it's just different! This phrase doesn't just stand for the differences between American, Canadian, or South African ways of life. It stands for our beliefs, views, and how we value ourselves as individuals in society. I believe that I have found myself as an individual in our global society via understanding and celebrating our differences that make people unique.

A year has taught me that family means everything. Family, however, can take many forms. Family can be your natural family, a host family, or anyone who plays a significant role in your life. Some of the people I have met here at the University of British Columbia have become my family. I never thought that I could become as close as I am to some of the amazing people who I have met. Since I have spent more days away from home than at home this year, I now value the role my parents have in my life far more. I now understand their contributions that encompass so many facets. They support me emotionally, financially, and in ways that need not to be listed. The bottom line is that I would not be who I am today without my three families--my South African, American, and UBC families.

Most importantly, this last year has taught me the importance of one word: yes. Always say yes. So many of my experiences this year are due in part to the word, yes. I answered yes to UBC's offer of admission. I accepted the amazing friends who I have made. I say yes whenever someone asks if I am up to a task I used to think was unthinkable. This may be a bit broad, but the instances in which I have said yes are innumerable.

My word of advice to anyone who is considering exchange is that it certainly is worth it. February 2012 until February 2013 has been a year of ups and downs, but it has also been a year of personal gratification. An exchange, regardless of form, provides this unparalleled sense of personal gratification.

I am forever grateful for my family who enabled me to embark on this years' series of opportunities. I am also so lucky to have you, the reader. I may not know who you are, but you have a sense of who I am. This anonymous relationship serves a unique role: those who are curious about exchange, life abroad, or even life in general have a place where they can take a peek into the happenings of the life of an individual. The reflections may be difficult to follow at times, but to me they are certainly profound.

For those of you who are interested in keeping up with my international experiences, I am in the process of creating a new blog! It is titled "Encounters Abroad" and will document my travels and experiences in Canada, and where else life may take me. I hope you will check it out once it is up and running.

Thank you, readers. If you have any insights, comments, or questions, I hope that you will get in touch with me. My email is danny.schur@gmail.com

“Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.”-Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 comments:

  1. MY NAME IS MARIAM BAURICE FROM SOUTH AFRICA...I SAW THIS COMMENT ON POSITIVE BLOGS AND I WILL LOVE TO TELL EVERY BODY HOW MY STATUS CHANGES TO NEGATIVE, AND AM NOW A LIVING WITNESS OF IT AND I THINK ITS A SHAME ON ME IF I DON'T SHARE THIS LOVELY STORY WITH OTHER PEOPLE INFeCTED WITH THIS DEADLY VIRUS...,HIV HAS BEEN ONGOING IN MY FAMILY... I LOST BOTH PARENTS TO HIV,. AND IT IS SO MUCH PAIN IVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO GET OVER.. AS WE ALL KNOW MEDICALLY THERE IS NO SOLUTION TO IT..AND MEDICATION IS VERY EXPENSIVE..SO SOMEONE INTRODUCED ME TO A NATIVE MEDICAL PRACTITIONER IN AFRICA..I HAD A JOB THERE TO EXECUTE SO I TOOK TIME TO CHECK OUT ON HIM.I SHOWED HIM ALL MY TESTS AND RESULTS.. I WAS ALREADY DIAGNOSED WITH HIV AND IT WAS ALREADY TAKING ITS TOWL ON ME.. I HAD SPENT THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS SO I DECIDED TO TRY HIM OUT...I WAS ON HIS DOSAGE FOR 3 WEEKS. ALTHOUGH I DIDNT BELIEVE IN IT, I WAS JUST TRYING IT OUT OF FRUSTRATION... AND AFTER 2 WEEKS, I WENT FOR NEW TESTS... AND YOU WONT BELIEVE THAT 5 DIFFERENT DOCTORS CONFIRMED IT THAT AM NEGATIVE..IT WAS LIKE A DREAM,,I NEVER BELIEVE AIDS HAS CURE..AM NOW NEGATIVE,,AM A LIVING WITNESS..I DONT KNOW HOW TO THANK THIS MAN... I JUST WANT TO HELP OTHERS IN ANY WAY I CAN..HAVE JOINED MANY FORUMS AND HAVE POSTED THIS TESTIMONIES AND ALOT OF PEOPLE HAS MAIL AND CALLED THIS MAN ON PHONE AND AFTER 2 MONTHS THEY ALL CONFIRMED NEGATIVE..BBC NEWS TOOK IT LIVE AND EVERY.. HOPE HE HELPS YOU OUT.. EVERYBODY SAW IT AND ITS NOW OUT IN PAPERS AND MAGAZINES THAT THERE'S NATIVE CURE FOR HIV AND ALL WITH THE HELP OF THIS MAN,,HAVE TRIED MY OWN PARTS AND ALL LEFT WITH YOU,,IF YOU LIKE TAKE IT OR NOT..GOD KNOWS HAVE TRIED MY BEST.ABOUT 97 PEOPLE HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED NEGATIVE THROUGH ME..AND THEY SEND MAILS TO THANKS ME AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED NEGATIVE,,THIS MAN IS REAL..DON'T MISS THIS CHANCE,,HIV IS A DEADLY VIRUS,,GET RID OF IT NOW..

    case there is anyone who has similar problem and still

    looking for a way out, and he those cast all kind of spell like ::

    Love Spells

    Luck, Money Spells

    Health, Well Being

    Protection, Healing

    Curses, Hex, Breakups

    NEW! Combo Spells

    High Priestess Spells

    Vampire Spells

    Authentic Voodoo Spells

    Custom, Other Spells

    Business spells

    Health/Healing spells

    Curse removal

    Job spells

    Healing from all kind of diseases

    Love binding

    Barrenness(need a child)

    Need love

    Lottery Spells

    Promotions

    Success

    Money rituals

    winning court case

    Divorce spells

    Low sperm count

    Infertility in women

    Breast enlargement/reduction

    Penis enlargement/reduction

    YOU CAN CONTACT HIM HERE AS (spirituallighthealing101@live.com or (518) 303-6207) if you need any question contact me via here as mariambaurice@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tribute to Nelson Mandela




    Nice,
    Thanks for your greatful informations, working in, ASIAN AFFAIRS MAGAZINE.
    URDUTAHZEEB.
    Try to post best informations like this always




    ReplyDelete